hcpizzi
Site Admin

Re: Unreal Engine 4

20 Oct 2016, 12:41

Thanks for the feedback! I'll update the setup steps with a more detailed description of each one of them.

Erio

20 Oct 2016, 12:46

Do you know the loading order of the dlls?

If the loading of the NoesisPlugin is done early enough, we could copy the shader in the Module start instead of the build step. I will take a look and play around with this I guess when I get a bit of time.

I did not find any way to get the Engine directory from the C# Build.cs file of the module, but I know that in the current cpp, you can get the engine directory and thus do the copy from there, which would allow the plugin to be wherever we want it to be (whether it be in engine or project).

That's what *should* be possible. I will try to investigate that. :)

Also, if I may voice my main interest for the plugin use, it will be to have it as a 3D widget form that can be used as Scene Component or Actors (RTT I guess?) :P

maconbot

20 Oct 2016, 13:02

Then I will use NoesisGui to do a RenderToTexture on this plane and display the GUI.
It will allow to have true 3D UI to embed with your actors, players etc.
I know there was another thread where this was said and then it got closed. Erio, is the Render Texture path what ended up happening? My first use case is wanting to project NoesisGUI onto a mesh, maybe even a curved one.

Erio

20 Oct 2016, 15:11

Then I will use NoesisGui to do a RenderToTexture on this plane and display the GUI.
It will allow to have true 3D UI to embed with your actors, players etc.
I know there was another thread where this was said and then it got closed. Erio, is the Render Texture path what ended up happening? My first use case is wanting to project NoesisGUI onto a mesh, maybe even a curved one.
When I stopped working on this, it was nearly working. In the sense that I had a plane and stuffs I could position in world space, but I was having trouble converting Noesis texture to UE4 texture.
Then I got a job and no more time to work on this.. Since then my life have been quite hectic. x)

This will be my first use case as well, since I aim at using it for potentially VR. :)
(so unless this happens, I will prob wait for it. :P)

hcpizzi
Site Admin

24 Oct 2016, 01:01

Hi guys,

As for rendering the UI to a texture, I was planning on supporting that. But now that UE4 has a WidgetComponent that allows displaying a Widget in 3D I was going to go that route. It's not the same (you can't wrap it around a mesh, I think it only supports displaying it as a 3D plane), but all the input should "just work". We're not working on it yet, though, but if it's something you'd like to see sooner rather than later let us know.

Erio

24 Oct 2016, 13:02

Hi hcpizzi,

It's definitely something that I'd prefer to see, even in a basic state, sooner than later.

A solution that I would propose to have mesh compatible UI would be to have the texture being output on a mesh that can be selected. It should respect the UV space and then, for people using custom meshes with proper unwrapping, they could make it mesh compatible.
as for the detection for this case, it would require to use the GetUVFromLineTrace from UE4 (There is a way to do it, althought I am not 100% sure of the name right now).

Those are just thoughts about what can be done tho. if it may help you a little bit down the line. :)

If for a starter we can have it simply on a 3D plane in the same way that WidgetComponents do it. That would be awesome.
Btw, i want to note that Widget Components are still considered as an Experimental feature in UE4 and although I never had issues with it, well... It's still "experimental" :P

maconbot

24 Oct 2016, 19:56

I would add, in general - my hope is Noesis plans to support Unreal Engine perhaps even more than Unity.

So that means all these screenshots, should have similar examples in a UE4 plugin someday soon.
https://www.noesisengine.com/#goto-home-main-features

For me the thing that got me considering you guys in Unity, 2 years ago, was the airplane dashboard example shot/video. That is truly unique, render to texture solution that makes you stand tall to other solutions. Your other unique offering is you, as of this plugin, are now truly multiplatform out of the box.

I think it is important to realize a market opportunity. Unity has really upset a lot of their indie devs and small studios with their license decisions on Unity 5. Many, like me have been on fence leaving the engine and this has been the last straw for many of us. It shows a true disconnect between their audience and their dev team. You can capitalize on this.

Your GUI can be the exit strategy for these studios. I know for me it will take about 2 years to fully leave Unity. Because of your asset I can look at step one first being syncing the GUI to be all Noesis. Step 2, port custom classes and methods to Unreal or haxe even so I am never engine bound again. So thanks to Noesis there really isn't a step 3, and because I can have a common GUI between the two, I don't really lose stride much. Maybe 1 week a month spent porting, but I can keep pace.

And if you really want to be on trend, announce possibly haxe support and poss. support for other engines if interest is shown in CE, Lumberyard and Stingray.

I truly believe your cross platform engine support is your strongest appeal and you should have beta's for each asap. This frees indies up to choosing best engine for project without worrying about GUI. And user interface is so much related to user experience, which if user experience can be considered solved for all platforms, it really allows us to be creative and not have to think engine first, we can think project and ideas first. This is huge!

I will again say, that render to texture airplane scene also is an easy go to. We can't easily do that level of immersion with built in engine GUI's, so a focus on the cool stuff is another win and make you an easy choice, even though it may take a bit of time investment up front.

So I highly recommend UE4 become a top priority, don't miss the market opportunity. I think if you release a Unity 5 version, with upgrade discount on Unity Asset store and linked to UE4 version or cross platform info within asset description. And also launched a beta version in Unreal. And offered a site wide Christmas sale 50% all in one license. This would be a excellent right place, right time situation for you.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

25 Oct 2016, 20:48

So I highly recommend UE4 become a top priority, don't miss the market opportunity. I think if you release a Unity 5 version, with upgrade discount on Unity Asset store and linked to UE4 version or cross platform info within asset description. And also launched a beta version in Unreal. And offered a site wide Christmas sale 50% all in one license. This would be a excellent right place, right time situation for you.
Thanks a lot for your great feedback! Yes, UE4 is becoming top priority among the engines we are going to support. We would like to have the final 1.3 version fully supported in Unreal. The idea of having a discount for both Unity + Unreal sounds also a good one.

Once the package is a bit stabilized we will start working in good examples showing nice UI.

Anyone tried interacting with NoesisGUI using blueprints? Feedback about it would be great : )

Thanks again!

hcpizzi
Site Admin

29 Oct 2016, 18:04

The UE4 plugin has just been updated with support for the latest NoesisSDK1.3 BETA 3.

hcpizzi
Site Admin

10 Jan 2017, 12:34

The UE4 plugin has just been updated with support for the latest NoesisSDK1.3 BETA 4.