jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

Unreal Engine 4

10 Oct 2016, 21:54

We have published the UE4 plugin at github today:

https://github.com/Noesis/UE4Plugin

It is a beta version tested only in Windows using the last UE4 stable version. This integration is only compatible with NoesisGUI v1.3. There are many things yet to be solved and improved and your feedback is critical at this point.

Thanks a lot!

hcpizzi
Site Admin

Re: Unreal Engine 4

12 Oct 2016, 01:47

We've updated the plugin today, exposing more events and functions so they can be used from Blueprints.

Please, give us feedback and report any problems you encounter.

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 02:32

So I am having a few problems. I will admit I am new to unreal source. I believe I am following the instructions to a T though.

One thought I had was is there a typo in the NoesisGUI.h file, as in is it supposed to be NoesisGui.h (lower case ui)

Also is it expected that I have other versions of Visual Studio installed other than 2015. I currently only have VS 2015 installed as I am trying to keep the production pc bloat free.

Here is my folder setup.

I get this type of error after following the instructions very carefully.

I did notice the typo/capital diff. and tried messing about with that a little, let me know if you think that is it. But I did go back and rename the folder to match as you can see in the first screen shot.

When opening the editor solution, trying to debug I get failed to load solution and it tells me this problem with the plugin is why.

Another possible problem is that when it was copying the NativeSDK 1.3.0b2 to the folder mentioned above I get this error. (oops at my max, I will just include it to another reply below.)

[see below]

The problem is the default location of the GitHub for Windows, following the EU4 source install instructions with all defaults, GitHub for Win defaults to Documents folder. I guess this makes the path too long on Windows?

So I am pretty much stuck, I am going to try to fool around with installing other plugins to see if I can see the problem from a different perspective.

A few general questions, when the readme says, Regenerate project files, this means...run GenerateProjectFiles.bat correct?

Also mentioning what version has been tested in the readme might help get people a pulse on where to start. I had started in 4.12 and then looked back and saw you were using 4.13. Honestly I am starting to wonder if there is a bug in the source, as I have tried following another plugin tutorial at the engine level and it failed to with the same "failed to load because module could not be found". (not exact phrasing)

The only consistent thing I could find is this error. Which may be a common one, like I need to declare what version the editor is up to, or what set engine to build in debug mode or something.
Attachments
paths.PNG
followed.PNG
followed.PNG (9.23 KiB) Viewed 17599 times
location.PNG
location.PNG (7.15 KiB) Viewed 17599 times

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 02:33

promised attach from above.
Attachments
problem.PNG

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 09:56

Tried some more stuff and added an issue:
https://github.com/Noesis/UE4Plugin/issues/2

Erio

19 Oct 2016, 10:20

Hey Maconbot

I would like to first say that you do not necessarily need to have custom built sources to use the plugin.

What you can do is place the plugin on your engine version plugins folder.

The path to this being the path you chose to install your UE4 into
e.g: "C:\Epic Games"
In this folder you will find a folder named with 4.12, 4.13 etc.

For the version you wish to install the plugin for. Go to: Engine/Plugins/ and paste/clone the repository here.
path e.g: "C:\Epic Games\4.13\Engine\Plugins"

You then should only require to copy the SDK in the appropriate sub-folder and it should work. :)
At least, it worked for me on 4.13 (and if I'm correct 4.12 as well.. But between us, 4.13 is far more stable than 4.12)

Right now, the source of your issues definitely seem to be the path too long error, so moving your custom engine closer to the root of your drive (like "C:\Ue4Sources\blablabla")

Also, please let me note that in the case you put it in an existing engine version, you should only be required to start the project and it should prompt you to compile the new NoesisGui module of which it did not find the compiled dlls yet.

I hope that this can help you a little bit!

Cheers,
Erio

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 11:19

You then should only require to copy the SDK in the appropriate sub-folder and it should work. :)
Right now, the source of your issues definitely seem to be the path too long error, so moving your custom engine closer to the root of your drive (like "C:\Ue4Sources\blablabla")

Also, please let me note that in the case you put it in an existing engine version, you should only be required to start the project and it should prompt you to compile the new NoesisGui module of which it did not find the compiled dlls yet.
Hi Erio, I answered some more on the issue report on GitHub:
https://github.com/Noesis/UE4Plugin/iss ... -254752128

But let me address/answer the forum questions here.
"...copy the SDK in the appropriate sub-folder..."
NOTE: Image gets cut off here, please see attachment at bottom for full view.
-correct?
"...path too long error..."
Now that I am just working with the engines I get from the launcher as you mention, I no longer get that warning.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.10\Engine\Plugins
- shorter than C:\Users\me\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins where I was playing back when I thought I had to use source code version from GitHub to do the plugin. I am not messing with this one presently and just trying to get the launcher engine versions working.
Wait, what ;) ding, ding ding. I think this is the assumed info that may need to be in the readme. You will notice on the GitHub issue linked above, I mention there might be some common practice of installing plugins that would even result in better error/debug logs.

This sounds like it...though I don't totally get what you mean, I think I do though.

My current process is just to have the engine closed, and I navigate to the plugins folder, and with the engine closed I put the files in there according to the GitHub readme instructions. And I do this very carefully. However, I have never fully understood why step 3 was needed "3. Regenerate the UE4 projects." As if my engine was closed, shouldn't reopening the engine cause it to recognize and rebuild. But apparently not, maybe this is my problem?

See I never get a prompt to compile the module, it only ever gives me the module not found error. Are you saying the only way, or best way to get the prompt is to transfer the files with the engine open. Then right click and tell it to generate visual studio files? I don't get this step 3, how do I regenerate the ue4 projects? Where is that checkbox? :-)

It seems I...
1.) transfer everything to plugins while the engine is open.
2.) you should only be required to start the project (after transfer is done)

this builds the module? That seems key?
Attachments
here.PNG
here.PNG (9.45 KiB) Viewed 17585 times

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 11:38

Ok I tried that in 4.13.1 and it does not prompt me to compile the plugin. All I get is attached, and then when I hit Yes I get the same error as before, loading module failed. (seems because it is not compiled)
Attachments
hmm.PNG

Erio

19 Oct 2016, 11:50

My current process is just to have the engine closed, and I navigate to the plugins folder, and with the engine closed I put the files in there according to the GitHub readme instructions. And I do this very carefully. However, I have never fully understood why step 3 was needed "3. Regenerate the UE4 projects." As if my engine was closed, shouldn't reopening the engine cause it to recognize and rebuild. But apparently not, maybe this is my problem?
This is exactly what it does with plugin, it will check if it has already build binaries for this version, in case not, it will prompt the user to rebuild it.
In your case, it seems to stop before that, when it tries to iterate through the plugins and check that they all are valid. (which is pre-compilation stage of course)

I will try to install it in my UE4 installation just to see what happens and if I can get it to compile myself.

maconbot

19 Oct 2016, 12:03

Thanks, I posted my directory structure on the GitHub issue if we decide to check that. Thanks for your time.