Jamieh
Topic Author

Issue with blurriness at lower resolutions

26 Jan 2020, 20:46

Our Unity/Noesis/WebAssembly game is in Beta testing, and some customers who are playing at low resolutions are complaining that the text is blurry. Oddly, one of them said he could make things more clear by changing the web browser zoom to 50%.

On my large res screen 2560 x 1440 everything is really crisp and clear no matter the size of the browser window. We are mostly using a smaller canvas and then using ViewBoxes to scale.

Any idea what settings/techniques I could use to help out the folks at lower resolutions? Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Issue with blurriness at lower resolutions

28 Jan 2020, 18:17

There shouldn't be any kind of blurriness if the HTML canvas remains 1:1 with the WebGL surface. Could you please attach a screenshot about this?

Jamieh
Topic Author

28 Jan 2020, 21:54

2560 x 1440
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjEAlWO9Yl9unLxxrvzpAZFEKnhlYQ

1920 x1080
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjEAlWO9Yl9unLxwqN2FjbTRbMc6IA

User wasn't even on low-res like I thought. I know the Red on blue is hard to read in both shots, but look at Blue on Light Gray. It is really sharp in the bigger shot, but fuzzy in the smaller one. Very obvious if you flip back and forth between the shots.

When I shrink the size on a big monitor to smaller, it does not get blurry.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here, but I don't know where to troubleshoot. Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Jan 2020, 12:06

I am not sure, but I would say the blurriness is not only happening for the text. It seems all the UI is being affected. As said, I think this seems to be the browser applying a scale to the WebGL viewport. You can debug size numbers in the Emscriptem display, the source code is included in the SDK. Also I would try with different browsers to see what happens.

Jamieh
Topic Author

29 Jan 2020, 18:47

Yes I agree with you that the whole UI is blurry. I should have been more clear. I think the idea that the browser is applying a scale makes sense. But why would it apply a scale if it is set to 100% zoom? And why would the scale look better when the user turned it to 50% zoom? Could that be related to their Windows settings?

I will have them try in other browsers, but I think they already mentioned that they did that.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the "Emscriptem display"? Is this something I need to build into my program and then have the user activate some panel to get debug data? Thanks!

I realize there is a good chance this has nothing to do with Noesis, and is a Unity/Browser/User issue.

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Jan 2020, 18:50

Sorry, forget about the Emscriptem display thing, I thought you were using the C++ SDK.