jason2018
Topic Author

Educational resources for learning Noesis GUI for Unity

21 Aug 2018, 02:23

We are thinking of using Unity + Noesis GUI for a large project but we are not really sure where the best resources live? After trying to follow the Unity tutorial on the youtube channel, ran into some issues with finding the root view and had to search through various examples on the github samples project to piece it together (video :

Do you have any recommendations for resources, I see the documentation for unity specific examples is only two articles? I don't mind paying for resources but I haven't found much. Ideally I would like to learn how to do things like changing "screens", binding data and updating the XAML UI? Keep in mind I am coming from a React/Web backend and not as familiar with WPF. Would looking into WPF tutorials be helpful?

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: Educational resources for learning Noesis GUI for Unity

22 Aug 2018, 02:38

Hi,

That video uses an old version of our software that exposed a different API to the user. With current version it will look like this:
void Start()
{
  NoesisView view = GetComponent<NoesisView>();
  Storyboard ani = (Storyboard)view.Content.FindResource("animation");
  Button btn = (Button)view.Content.FindName("button");
  btn.Click += (sender, args) =>
  {
    ani.Begin(view.Content);
  };
}
All tutorials from 1 to 19 are valid for Unity, they provide a wide overview of all topics required to develop UIs with NoesisGUI. There are only two specific tutorials for Unity to explain the peculiarities for that development framework.

If you need more examples there are plenty of them for WPF and XAML in internet/stackoverflow that can mostly be used with Noesis.

jsantos
Site Admin

23 Aug 2018, 15:43

There is also a bunch of examples in our GitHub, many of them working in Unity.

jason2018
Topic Author

23 Aug 2018, 19:06

Great, yeah those examples have proven pretty quite useful. Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

23 Aug 2018, 20:40

you welcome!

Paul Indrome

27 Mar 2022, 22:11

Hello.

Sorry to necro this old thread but it seems quite impossible to find any actual "getting started" tutorial videos online so in order to get the Github examples and samples to work, I've got a couple questions:
  1. What Unity version were the samples on Github made for? (Unity Hub seems to think they are prior to 5.0 but that is hardly possible)
  2. Is there a way to get the xaml blend files in the samples working with .NET Framework target 4.8? (Blend recommends updating but it doesn't work. The project just unloads again and setting it to v4.8 manually in the xaml file throws errors. Currently, there is no way for me to reverse-engineer any examples.)

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Mar 2022, 22:20

1. At least Unity 2020.2. If you are having trouble using the Github examples I recommend first having a look at the examples already included in the Unity package. All of them should work perfectly (tested with all render pipelines) and they include blend project too.

2. Same as 1, could you try with the examples in the package?