Mystery
Topic Author

How to Convert WPF Application to NoesisGUI

07 Jul 2018, 02:19

I'm exploring the option of creating cross-platform application and understand that NoesisGUI provides cross-platform support compatible with WPF. (There's also AvaloniaUI but it's an unstable beta)

In practice, I can't figure out how to get started with it. I'm looking at their tutorial samples and they don't contain any reference to Nemesis DLLs (!??) nor any other special DLLs, so that's not helping me much.

First, can NemesisGUI be used as a drop-in replacement for WPF that will work on other platforms?

Second, will it work as expected or are there issues to be aware of?

And most importantly, what are simple steps to convert an existing WPF application to run on Nemesis in a cross-platform-compatible way?

Is it easy to have an application run on WPF for Windows and NemesisGUI for other platforms, without repeating code?

Thanks for helping me get started

mingingmingler

Re: How to Convert WPF Application to NoesisGUI

08 Jul 2018, 00:22

Noesis is effectively a drop in replacement for WPF. Avalonia is WPF inspired, but it's not WPF really.

Integration of Noesis really depends on what you want to integrate it into. Native or managed? Do you intend to integrate into an engine? You can read more about that here http://www.noesisengine.com/docs/Gui.Core.SDKGuide.html and download the libraries here https://www.noesisengine.com/developers/downloads.php.

In terms of workflow, you'll have a Blend/WPF project to develop your XAML the same way that you normally would. And then you'll have a separate app/Noesis project sharing the XAML. If you use a C# library, these two projects will share the same source files for the code behind. But you'll need to use preprocessor directives to target the Noesis control types in place of the WPF types accordingly. There are some caveats on the XAML end, for example it doesn't support certain features like multibinding yet.

Mystery
Topic Author

08 Jul 2018, 18:43

It is a pure C# application. I know nothing about engines, so I want that to be as simple as possible. I just want a standard C# WPF application to be able to run on Linux and MacOS.

I did download the SDK; just want proper guidance to see the right sample that I can model and duplicate.

jsantos
Site Admin

18 Jul 2018, 17:39

You can find samples inside the C# SDK, for now only Windows and Android are provided. Extending to the rest of platforms should be straightforward but we are working on officially supporting all our native platforms in the C# Application Framework.

Mystery
Topic Author

23 Jul 2018, 04:22

I've made a bit of progress -- actually installing UNITY from the Visual Studio Installer.

I can open the Unity folder in the samples, but then don't know how to run the application. How do I run a sample under Unity?

jsantos
Site Admin

24 Jul 2018, 15:33

I think you need first getting familiar with Unity and after that you can follow this Noesis Tutorial for Unity.