digimbyte
Topic Author

Workflow help? Visual Studio 2017 + Blend + Unity

15 Nov 2017, 14:35

Hey all, I'm interested in setting up a workflow between visual studio's XAML Designer Blend and I've hit some issues that are frustrating and tedious.
The documentation is outdated, the behavior in current Visual Blend/Studio does not represent the expected outcome of the tutorials.

These are a few of my frustrations;
Link to no longer exists as previously shown, add existing the 'substitute' has a dual behavior.
1) add existing to project, copies the file
2) add existing to the solution, links the file but cannot be rendered "Build the project to update the design view"

Open Unity solution directly in Blend/VS and Open XAML files directly
but XAML files don't render and refuse to open in XAML Designer

Now, I'm fully aware of how NoesisGUI is a middleware and there are various tools out there. but frankly, I can't find a XAML editor that works.
I've looked at Kaxaml, the websites went to some Asian site, I've tried Xaml editors from Git Hub that just don't work.
I'm eager to find a current workflow with Visual Studio 2017 and Unity. Unfortunately opening and editing the sample .xaml files, the XAML design previewer refuses to load or "Build the project to update the design view" which doesn't do anything.

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: Workflow help? Visual Studio 2017 + Blend + Unity

15 Nov 2017, 16:46

Hi,

With the new versions of Visual Studio (and Blend) they moved the Link to Existing Item... as an option in the Add > Existing Item... dialog.
After selecting the file you want to include in the Blend project, instead of clicking the Add button, you have to click the dropdown next to that button and select Add As Link. Then you will be able to correctly edit the file with the Blend designer.

You cannot use the project created by Unity in Blend because it is not a valid WPF project. You have to create a different Blend project to edit the xaml files.

I will upload an updated version of that tutorial as soon as possible to avoid any further complications. We are also updating all the documentation for the next release.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

digimbyte
Topic Author

16 Nov 2017, 01:52

I found where the 'add as link' is

However, I am still unable to preview and edit it in designer
is there something missing?
should I try a different example maybe?

jsantos
Site Admin

16 Nov 2017, 02:32

is there something missing?
should I try a different example maybe?
I see errors in the project. That xaml is using code behind (the x:class keyword) that you are not including in the project (the corresponding .cs files). So, first thing you need is having the project clean of errors. All our examples in github are already setup with a blend project in the root. Please, have a look at it:

https://github.com/Noesis/Tutorials/tre ... tons/Unity

jsantos
Site Admin

16 Nov 2017, 12:21

We updated the tutorial: First contact with Blend