dlypka
Topic Author

Can Noesis GUI form "wrap" a Unity 3D Cube face? Is the GUI from XAML a 2D or a 3D object in Unity?

23 Sep 2017, 17:32

I want to create a related set of GUI forms which are arranged as faces of a 3D cube in Unity 3D.
So there could be up to 6 related forms per 3D cube

I created a mockup using Blender (see .jpg in .zip in Attachment) where I used UV Mapping to wrap some .jpgs showing some lines of text to the standard Blender Cube's faces and then I imported the cube into Unity 3d.

Now I want to substitute Noesis GUI forms (i.e. "live' dialogs) in place of the static .jpgs, to render on each cube face.
The goal is to be able to interactively rotate the cube to position a given face to be able to interact with the form on that face.

Is that possible, or do I have to treat the Noesis GUI forms as 2D objects and then render them in close proximity to each 3D cube face?
Attachments
UnityCube02_JSF.zip
(204.71 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

ai_enabled

Re: Can Noesis GUI form "wrap" a Unity 3D Cube face? Is the GUI from from XAML a 2D or a 3D object in Unity?

23 Sep 2017, 18:21

Hi!
You can setup NoesisGUI component to render to a render texture (and have many of them). So you can render to 6 render textures and map them to each face of the cube. Though, at a single time, only 3 faces of the cube will be visible - you can disable rendering for not visible NoesisGUI panels and use only 3 render textures. I don't know if there is a sample for that.
Also, @jsantos mentioned in the VR GUI topic that it's possible to render directly in 3D space, but I've never tried it.
Regards!
AtomicTorch Studio Pte. Ltd. http://atomictorch.com

dlypka
Topic Author

Re: Can Noesis GUI form "wrap" a Unity 3D Cube face? Is the GUI from from XAML a 2D or a 3D object in Unity?

24 Sep 2017, 18:01

Thank you for the research.
I will check it out.

sfernandez
Site Admin

25 Sep 2017, 17:20

As aienabled mentioned you can render a Noesis xaml into a texture (RenderTexture) and apply it to each cube face material.

I created the following sample to show how to setup some quads to render a xaml as their texture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bwl3C ... HYwMjdaRmc

dlypka
Topic Author

26 Nov 2017, 20:28

cubeTest01.jpg
Thank you for this sample.

I have a few questions about it.

Can you also provide the source code for the related Microsoft Blend project?
I am a newbie to Noesis GUI and so I am not yet clear on what source code / images has to come from Blend and what comes from Unity 3d, to make this demo happen...

Is that blue logo/icon supposed to represent a Noesis GUI control?
It appears perpendicular to the cube face just to demonstrate the 3D nature of the UI, right?
So an entire Noesis GUI dialog form could be put there as well?

When I load it into Unity 3d as shown in the above snapshot,
then when I try to rotate the cube in the Unity Editor,
the cube splits apart:
cubeTest02.jpg
I assume this is because the cube was constructed in Microsoft Expression Blend which has limited 3D features?

I had been doing my experiments using the default cube from Blender.
That one rotates as expected in Unity 3d.
BlenderCube01.jpg
Is there any way to have the Noesis GUI work with this Blender Cube?

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Nov 2017, 16:08

Blender is not related at all with NoesisGUI. When you render to texture in NoesisGUI you can use that output in whatever geometry you create. We are going to incorporate a render to texture sample soon in our package. Thanks for the suggestion.

dlypka
Topic Author

27 Jan 2020, 02:51

Is the new feature describe here related to my question?
https://www.noesisengine.com/bugs/view.php?id=1465
0001465: Allow 3D world-view-projection transforms in MVVM, independent of screen space for high performance spatial UI

Please post a sample image of what Feature 0001465 does.
The technical discussion of what it does is difficult to visualize mentally.

Thanks.

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Jan 2020, 18:19

That feature is coming with NoesiGUI 3.0, we will prepare a sample and snippet showing how it works whenever we release the first beta. But the idea is very similar to the Transform3D property in UWP. It allows real 3D rotations to UI elements.

dlypka
Topic Author

09 Jul 2020, 12:23

I am looking at the samples here:
https://github.com/Noesis/Tutorials/tre ... s/Widget3D

Can the Unreal example be ported to Unity without too much effort?

I would like to use that "Menu on the face of a cube" sample code in my Unity project.
Can you provide it in Unity for us?
Or give some tips how to convert it from Unreal into Unity?

We need to use Unity 3D Pro for building with Noesis GUI, right?
I saw that mentioned in a 2014 post here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=485

At the moment I only have Unity 2019 Community (free) edition together with Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition.

jsantos
Site Admin

09 Jul 2020, 13:01

Rendering to texture is explained here:

https://www.noesisengine.com/docs/Gui.C ... #rendering

Porting that Unreal example should be straightforward, please let us know about it.

I think, not sure, you don't need Unity 3D Pro for that, it was like that in the past but I think these days the feature is available in the free version of Unity.