Ziriax
Topic Author

Monogame - Noesis interop fork with "XAML edit-and-continue"

28 Dec 2016, 17:57

Hi all,

I forked the Monogame - Noesis interop sample from AIEnabled on GitHub https://github.com/Ziriax/NoesisGUI.MonoGameWrapper

Works with 1.3beta3 and Windows DX11 only for now.

It fixes some keyboard input problems, allows usage of Monogame 2D textures in Noesis GUI, and has experimental support for "XAML edit-and-continue": if you change a XAML file the UI will be automagically reloaded without having to restart the game. This is only useful if you use the MVVM pattern I guess.

I also added a "design-time" WPF project that allows editing the UI using WPF.

Have fun, but beware of glitches :D

Cheers,
Peter Verswyvelen
Peter Verswyvelen,
Strongly Typed Solutions

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Monogame - Noesis interop fork with "XAML edit-and-conti

29 Dec 2016, 16:29

Wow! This is amazing! We are also working in 1.3 to support hot-reloading of resources (xaml, textures and fonts). I will have a look at your code tonight.

Thanks for sharing!

Ziriax
Topic Author

29 Dec 2016, 18:38

Cool, if you implement hot reloading, it will be a lot better and faster than my simple experiment!

I just did it brute force, and I'm not even sure it will work with multiple XAML files, since your engine might do some caching internally.

I first tried to re-create the root view, but could not find a way to do that. So I just created a proxy ContentControl and ResourceDictionary.

I'm looking forward to your hot reloading feature!
Peter Verswyvelen,
Strongly Typed Solutions

Ziriax
Topic Author

07 Feb 2017, 16:52

I just updated the code to work with BETA4.

Know problem: since in BETA4 SetTheme can only be called once, and ResourceDictionary cannot be created anymore from C#, it will not use a theme when you want the "edit-and-continue" feature.
Peter Verswyvelen,
Strongly Typed Solutions

Paulo

Re: Monogame - Noesis interop fork with "XAML edit-and-continue"

04 Oct 2017, 22:21

Hi, it seems the MonoGmae / NoesisGUi integration has stalled and OpenGL isn't available whcih is a must for mobile development.
Are there any plans to work on this?

ai_enabled

05 Oct 2017, 08:36

Hi,
currently, I'm focused on D3D11/Windows version only. The game I'm working on will support only this platform at launch and we have plans for Linux version with OpenGL (or maybe Vulkan, will see) if the game sells well enough to continue development (it already took almost 2 years and focus on a single platform saved a lot of time).
I would be glad if someone will implement OpenGL support for NoesisGUI-MonoGame integration project. The code needs refactoring to support other graphics API and OS - perhaps separate .NET assemblies for each platform with VS shared code project with conditional symbols. After it integration of OpenGL should be straightforward as there is already the NoesisGUI OpenGL sample which could be used as the starting point.

Regards!
AtomicTorch Studio Pte. Ltd. http://atomictorch.com

Paulo

20 Oct 2017, 21:16

ai_enabled: Thanks for your reply and for a good work on the mono version. I wish you the best of luck for your game!